Down the street from our hotel room and around the corner, we stepped into Goorin Hats in the French Quarter. We actually had to step in because we lost sight of Mr. Bell. He has been a fan of this company for a while and felt pulled into the store when he saw the sign. The rest of us just waddled in like little baby ducks. It was after 8 o’clock and we thought it would be a quick stop before we continued down the sidewalk to enjoy the sights and sounds of the city.
Little did we know that we would fall in love with this little store and hats! We tried on every hat and admired every hat pin. We modeled for each other and processed the appeal of one hat over another. As each of us decided on a flatcap, beret, and fedora, Mr. Bell had a little worried look on his face. He had just successfully created a Bell hat frenzy and we were happy!
Hats, we discovered, are the perfect accessory for any outfit for any stage of life. A hat allows you an opportunity to express yourself. There is always room to change the look as we grow.
Hats are also a great reflection of all the phases in life that we live through together as a family and in relationship to God.
Here’s a glimpse.
- Baby: Parents choose any cute and precious hat to put on their sweet baby’s bald head. God’s message: Love from parents is direct love from God.
- Toddler: Parents buy ten of one special hat to avoid any repeat meltdowns. God’s message: Grace, grace, and more grace.
- Elementary: Anything goes with anything really as long as a hat is on hand for theme days. God’s message: I have created a great big world for you to explore because I love you!
- Teen: Words like cute, pretty, or perfect cause immediate rejection. It is best to just pay for the hats and be mute. God’s message: I am proud of your courage to discover the person I created.
- Parents: Basically, dad looses hair. Hat becomes a necessary item. Mom doesn’t wash hair. Hat becomes a survival fashion trick. God’s message: Lean on me. Let go of the unimportant. Focus on the blessings. All the blessings!
We offer this little glimpse into our tent and our hat rack. We hope you too have a collection of hats in your tent that show the world who you are. We pray that each day of your life, you know whose you are, too. The balance of knowing and showing is a sweet spot for God to use your precious head (with or without hair) to express his love to others.
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.Matthew 28:20
From our Hat Happy Tent to Yours,