Love is in the air. According to one company on the radio, the perfect way to show that you love the man in your life is to buy him some perfect underwear. Good to know! Another radio ad suggested that this is the perfect time to buy the love of your life a star that will be named for them and recorded in the magic book. (Honestly, I wish I would have thought of that one because you would never, ever have to worry about running out of inventory or restocking the galaxy.) And another radio ad suggests to express love by investing in a new perfect, amazing, incredible mattress that will last for years to come. (This is not a bad idea!) A third grade class that we are connected to through our tent is also experiencing love. The report is that it’s hard to know who to love these days. (Adorable!)
For Christians, love is always in the air, right? Over in the New Testament of the Bible, the Apostle John (Zebedee’s son) captured a quote from Jesus that said, “A new commandment I give you: LOVE ONE ANOTHER. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” Good to know!
As we move closer to the Hallmark Holiday of Love (aka Valentine’s Day), let’s add a little more love to the world around us. By adding some love around us, maybe more people will experience the love of Christ that is experienced in the blessings of clothes (and underwear), seen in the stars, felt in the comforts of home (and soft mattresses) and celebrated in the hearts of third graders.
Happy Tent Ideas for Loving Others
- Love your Neighbor–This week, choose one neighbor to check on and see how they are doing. If you are really feeling adventurous, choose a neighbor you do not know well (even if you have lived by them for 15 years!). Be traditional and deliver a box of chocolates, a batch of cookies or a loaf of bread. If you need some ideas, check out SoCe Life and the Neighboring Movement.
- Love your Spouse–Take time to discover your spouses Love Language. It will save you lots of time and energy. Surprise your spouse by doing the dishes, thanking them of their work, holding hands for no reason, writing a love note, or preparing their favorite meal (like the duck Mr. Bell keeps bringing home!). Small acts of love go a long way in a happy tent!
- Love your Children–In the coming and going of family life, sometimes the small connections get left out. If you children are still living at home, Crafty Texas Girls gives lots of idea on how to celebrate love together. I especially love the “love notes” in the shape of hearts. I have been taping them to bedroom doors this week. 14 notes and 14 days until Valentine’s Day! If your children have left the nest, find a way to connect with a phone call, a visit or a lunch date. All children (young and old) need to feel loved. They need to be reminded that they are a God’s beautiful creation.
- Love your Friends–Can you imagine a life without friends? Can you imagine a friend who does not love a box of chocolate, a surprise coffee date, a card in their mailbox or a phone call from you? Choose 14 friends and love them to pieces this month!
- Love your Self–Have you experienced a stress free day lately? Have you personally experienced God lately? Loving yourself means many things. One important aspect of self love is to make space in your life to breath deeply from the grace of God that reminds us that we are enough. We do enough, have enough and are loved enough by God’s standards. Take a nap, exercise, read a book, dream, relax and remember that God is big enough to handle everything else.
- Love a Stranger–While waiting at the doctor’s office, I found myself loving a complete stranger who was obviously anxious about their doctor’s visit. By joking that I would take their place and offer my arm for the blood sample, the stranger began to laugh and relax. Start a conversation with a stranger, you may be exactly what they needed at that moment of their life.
From our Happy and Loving Tent to Yours,